Welcome

July 30, 2008

My first very own Daring Bakers Challenge!


I have finally ended doing my Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream this past weekend, and I must admit that it takes a great deal of time in the kitchen, with the praline, with the syrup, with the gateau itseft and finally the decorating of the cake. I must tell you, it was hard work, but anyway... it's done.

I was really confused at the begining of the challenge because I read my emails with a little delay so I had to make my Filbert Gateau with little of anticipation, but it was all worth it.
I've tried to make a modern version of what I think a Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream would be for me nowadays... I kinda got lost in the way of doing that, but what the heck, It came out wonderfully, and of course it tasted amazing.
I made a mini gateau because we are only two to eat it... and of course my two dogs who actually enjoyed it as well as we did.
I have subtituted the hazelnut praline for an almond praline, so it work just as fine... I made the filbert genoise the night before assembling the cake, and the next day I made the filling, the praline, the praline buttercream, the syrup, the apricot glaze, the ganache and the decorating of the mini cake. It is important to say that I halved all the recipe, and it worked great.

I made the Filbert genoise with powdered almonds, instead of the hazelnuts because I didn't have so many hazelnuts on hand. Apart from that I make the cake following the original recipe. I didn't add whipped cream to the filling, just the praline buttercream.

I must admit, it tasted great. But the trouble in my kitchen... not gonna happen again, sorry...although I thought it was a great challenge.

I hope you enjoyed it, it's a great recipe, and we ate it the same day I finished assembling the cake.







There are amazing cakes all over other blogs! I must congratulate you all for a wonderful job.

27 comments:

Honey Pickles said...

Your cake is absolutely stunning. Great job!

Michelle said...

OMG...your cake is just gorgeous!!! I love the spun sugar, some day I hope to learn that technique!

NKP said...

This is the most beautiful interpretation of the cake I have seen yet today. Great job!

Veron said...

Your decors are fantastic. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Your mini cakes are soooo beautiful and look delicious! :)

Anonymous said...

your cake is hot! as in flaming hot! That's what those sugar strands remind me of, flames :) It is just awesome.

Anonymous said...

Really gorgeous!

Barbara Bakes said...

I think yours is the fanciest cake I've seen - congrats!

Gina said...

Simply amazing and beautiful. Love the spun sugar! Congrats on your first challenge.

Katy said...

love it! i have to learn that spun sugar technique -- i think my fiance migggght be getting me a sugar class for my bday!

Tiffany said...

Wow, great job on the spun sugar! You did a fabulous job :)

una donna dolce said...

I love your chocolate wrap - I just hope the doggies got chocolate free portions!

Bumblebutton said...

Welcome to DBs, and you have certainly burst on the scene with a bang! What a fabulous version!! Really nice.

Christine said...

Amazing! Very original, and it's like something I'd find at a 5-star restaurant!

Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

Y said...

Oh wow. What an interesting take on the gateau! I like the chocolate collar.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An amazing cake! Truely beautiful! Congrats on your 1st challenge!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

This is one of the best filbert gateaux I've seen. I love the chocolate band and the spun sugar top. Stunning!

Anonymous said...

I am in awe! I saw this picture on Foodgawker (one day I might be able to work my way through all the DBs on the blogroll, but for now I have to pick and chose).

What a nice way to present them. Great job on your first challenge!

Alexandra

Katie B. said...

My jaw is hanging - your mini cake is magnificent!!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Fantastic job! Yours is definitely one of my favorites!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

This is just adorable! The chocolate arround it it's a beautiful idea!

Andrea Meyers said...

Your cake is beautiful! Lovely job on the decorating.

Alexa said...

This looks so elegant and amazing... Very well done!

Lunch Buckets said...

That is just too stinkin' beautiful! Welcome to the group :)

silverrock said...

What a stunning job at decorating this cake. I just adore the spun sugar decorations and the beautiful solid-chocolate design around the sides of the cake. Way to go on your first DB challenge... rock on

Lauren said...

Wow!! Your cakes are amazing! I love your decorations, it's beautiful.

Thip said...

Wow ! I like this one...